Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 with corroded structure frame welded to hinges

T60/T61 Series
Glaurung-quena

T60 with corroded structure frame welded to hinges

#1 Post by Glaurung-quena » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:09 pm

I have a 15" IPS t60 that has been through a lot. Bottom case badly cracked, a bunch of dessicated bugs and dirt on the inside, and LOTS of rust/corrosion everywhere.

By some miracle, it still posts to BIOS, and the screen has some vertical lines but it still works. So I'm trying to take it apart as gently as possible. My problem is that despite getting all the screws out, the hinge posts WILL NOT separate from the corroded structure frame.

Any suggestions for ways to separate the hinges from the structure frame, without damaging the electronics? If it was steel hinges on a door or something I'd use penetrating oil, but I don't know if that works with magnesium rust, and I don't think it's a good idea to get the oil onto circuit boards. If I have to I'll take apart the LCD panel and throw out the hinges and frame together, but it would be nice to be able to salvage the hinges, if they can only be detached from the rust.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T60 with corroded structure frame welded to hinges

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:29 pm

I think the motherboard can be removed without having to take out the hinges/lid. It's not per the HMM, but I recall doing it.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:27 am

Before spraying the penetrating oil on the hinge, you could cover the system board with an anti-static bag (the silvery plastic bag that motherboards are shipped in) and tape in in place with Kapton, and maybe a few sheets of paper towels on top. This should minimize the amount of oil that can get into the board.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

unixed

#4 Post by unixed » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:44 am

TPFanatic wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:29 pm
I think the motherboard can be removed without having to take out the hinges/lid. It's not per the HMM, but I recall doing it.
This, just be sure to position the lid before removing the keyboard bezel or your chances of breaking the structure frame near the side fan exhaust will be higher.