Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad BIOS whitelist (error 1802/1804) *READ 1st MSG*

T60/T61 Series
jinkazama

#91 Post by jinkazama » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:44 am

I just flashed my x60t with Zender patched bios and I can finally use my non-lenovo branded MC8755 instead of original MC8765 ( I mainly use my computer outside of the US ).

Thanks Zender!
IBM X60t

riftware

Gigabyte Atheros based Wireless N card now works

#92 Post by riftware » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 am

I had to mask pin 20 on this card just like others have reported for the intel cards but the unit is working as planned.
T61p 4GB Nvidia QuadroFX 570M OpenSuse 10.3 with updated kernel.

atrix415

#93 Post by atrix415 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 am

I don't know if it helps anyone else for X61 series. I didnt have to flashed any kind of bios and my card is working in the second slot since x61 has two. I used the right one and booted by using the pin 20 trick.

Follow Up: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 667#391667

Crunch

#94 Post by Crunch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:21 am

Zender...You're the MAN! :bow: For all the nay-sayer's once again...Mission accomplished! I will pay you a yet-to-be determined amount of money if you can help me get a T61 motherboard into my T60p, so as to lift the motherboard limitations of my T60p.

I'm sorry, did I say "if"?? HA! Never mind that. One way or another, it WILL be done. I have a brand-spanking new Penryn T9300 SEALED inside an anti-static bag, which in turn is sitting in a gorgeous black anti-static box, which is not sealed. I just had to take a peek. :mrgreen: Sheer beauty. I would like to free it from its prison and onto a system board, which will welcome it and unleash its ferocious capacity and capabilities. And I'll put my money where my mouth is! Let's do this thing!!! :thumbs-UP:
15-inch Core 2 Duo ThinkPad T60p | Ivy-Bridge (Late-2012) Mac mini w/ quad Core i7-3615QM 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 240GB+180GB Intel 520 Series SATA III SSD's, 5x3TB Drobo 5D

sugo
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#95 Post by sugo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Has anyone tried the modified BIOS on a T61 (e.g. bios 2.09)?
X61

fokleast

Success: T60 + Intel Pro Wireless 4965

#96 Post by fokleast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Zender, hats off!

T60 + Vista Business 32bit/SP1 RC + Intel 4965

Used modified 2.20 BIOS in order:
- revert back to 2.19 (using windows update being too lazy)
- flashing modified 2.20 using ISO/bootable CDROM from Zender
- installing Intel 4965 card
- installing standard drivers supplied with card
- card visible, but turned off in Vista
- putting small piece of tape to the pin 20 (bottom side of the card, second pin on the left from key) - standard electro-isolant tape

... it works!

- Thinkpad Wireless LED: works

Great job, Zender ;-)
T60 1952-ZDL 2GB Vista Bus32

mtaylor

Unlock Cingular lenovo MC8775 + Zender patch on T60p

#97 Post by mtaylor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm

Zender, hats off!

T60p + lenovo MC8775

- revert back to 2.19 (using windows update)
- installing MC8775
- installing 3g Watcher from sierra wireless website
- card visible, but turned off by BIOS.
- putting small piece of tape to the pin 20 (bottom side of the card, second pin on the left from key) - standard electro-isolant tape

... and it works!

Unforunately my lenovo MC8775 was locked to Cingular and I live in Spain. Finally I unlocked it using this software:
http://www.dc-unlocker.com/download/dc- ... _setup.exe If you need unlock only 1 data card, no need to buy dongle ---you can buy credits for 1 unlock at www.dc-unlocker.com/buy Which is about 15 Euros.

I got finally my card unlocked and it is working with my Local phone company (Orange).

Thanks Zender!

Switchcorp
Freshman Member

#98 Post by Switchcorp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:59 am

Mtaylor, do you have a real lenovo MC8775 or is it one extracted from a 875U ?

You can enable and disable it by doing FN + F5 ?

Where did you buy it ?

Thank you ;) It's a good news if we can unlock a real lenovo one !!!

Zender

Swapping cards might be a solution too...

#99 Post by Zender » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:52 pm

atrix415 is saying that using unapproved WLAN (wifi) card in the second miniPCIe slot (meant for WWAN card) worked for him in avoiding the 1802 error message. It wasn't given much response, but I think that it's a nice and safe solution – it won't work for everyone in all cases, but there's definitely something to it.

The reason behind this lies in the variability of miniPCIe. This slot allows the device to connect either to PCIe bus or USB bus. WLAN cards are generally PCIe-based (high throughput without bothering CPU), while WWAN and WUSB cards are usually USB-based (don't need that high throughput). The first slot (WLAN) is checked by a different routine than the second (and third in case of T61). The routine for second and third slot seems to only see USB card ID, so putting WLAN card there might actually avoid the 1802 error. It might not be the case the other way around, so someone might try whether putting a WWAN card in WLAN slot does avoid the 1804 error or not.

It definitely brings issues, such as that the antenna cables are routed to the location of "correct" slots, or that in a three-slot T61 one can't have an unauthorized WUSB card, but it's good to have more possiblities.

mtaylor

Zender Patch on lenovo MC8775 in a T60p, Cingular unlocking

#100 Post by mtaylor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi Switchcorp,

yes it is a Lenovo Branded MC8775 bought at ebay.com from an US seller. Lenovo FRU is: 42t0933. This one was locked to Cingular network (and useless here in Spain without unlock).

Here some more details I already sent to Zender by PM:

Without any Patch and Pin 20 connected: T60P Bios disconects the card on Boot. (Not in whitelist). Card is invisible for 3g Watcher (and Windows).

Without any Patch and Pin 20 disconnected/taped: T60P Bios throws 1804 (or 1802?) error on Boot. No boot possible.

With your Patch and Pin 20 connected: T60P Bios disconects the card on Boot. Card is invisible for 3g Watcher (and Windows).

WITH Zenders Patch and Pin 20 disconnected/taped: T60P Bios does not throw any error and laptop is booting. FN(blue) + F5 does not always shows WWAN. WWAN is switched off after booting, but Card is VISIBLE for 3g Watcher (and Windows).
3G Watcher (Sierra wireless access software) enables card when software starts. It also disables card when you terminate the 3G Watcher application.

Regarding "You can enable and disable it by doing FN + F5 "
Yes, sometimes I can do it, sometimes not. Looks like that the Bios still tries to switch it off completely on booting. looks also that Boot depends on a complete cold start or when the PC starts up from hybernation. in case of Hybernation wakeup, Bios does not switch of the card.

Regarding: It's a good news if we can unlock a real lenovo one !!! Yes it is and I am happy about this, so I finally can use the MC8775 in my T60P.
Regarding unlocking: I have also a German X60s with a vodafone locked lenovo UMTS Card. I opened a case in german IBM/Lenovo support center 2 weeks ago. They send me an emeil where you report your laptop type, serial number an imei number from the UMTS card. They promise to give you the unlock code Within 4 weeks. After 2 week I am still waiting for the unlock code. let's see...

tsr

#101 Post by tsr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 am

Hi, I am not using a T-series, but I still would like to use other wireless cards for my computer.

I am currently having z61m with designation 9450-h9g. I have never updated bios afaik.

Anyway I was wondering if zender could patch a bios for me.
z61m, t5500, 1gb, gma950, 80gb

Zender

#102 Post by Zender » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:01 am

I'm waiting for (hopefully positive) results of changing module size in the BIOS file. After this is confirmed and working, I hope to have automated patching solution done in a few days, for any Thinkpad BIOS.

pdudas

#103 Post by pdudas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi!

When I inserted a Novatel Eu740 HSDPA card into my X60 (with bios 1.02) the notebook booted well. Unfortunately the OS cannot recognize the card.

In a HP notebook the card works well.

Do you know any type of HSDPA card (mini-pci-express) that works in X61s in Europe?

Zender

#104 Post by Zender » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:31 pm

Try taping over the pin 20 - see mentions of this in this thread.

Though yes, you can buy Sierra Wireless MC8755 or MC8775 from Lenovo, the first one will work in *60 and the second one in *61 without any patches.

mtaylor

MC8775 lenovo FRU 42t0931 unlocked on sale

#105 Post by mtaylor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Somebody interested in a MC8775 lenovo FRU 42t0931? I ordered it as a spare part, but I do not need it any longer as I was able to unlock my cingular locked card.

The lenovo MC8775 FRU 42t0931 is brand new. It is already unlocked (as Lenovo only delivers unlocked cards in Germany since a few month). This card works in T61, T61p, X61, X61s and some other Lenovo laptops. With the patch from Zender it also works on T60.

Price in Germany was 270 Euros (VAT incl.).

If interested, please send PM. I can also place it on ebay.

Zender

#106 Post by Zender » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Depends on mods, maybe rather a FAQ item. But even if it was the case, it's not time yet.

I've updated phnxdeco to (almost) correctly decompose recent IBM BIOSes. Except for extracting holes (maybe I will add support for them), the only difference from BIOS Editor (by Phoenix) decomposition was a four-byte location-information in ROMEXEC modules. Which means I still wouldn't recommend trying prepare/catenate.

Also made a tool to replace a module in BIOS image (though this one still needs improvements, for now it won't help X60 non-tablet owners, hopefully will get some tester with older machine to try the needed type of modification) and tool to automatically recalculate checksum.

Tool to patch a BIOS module is almost finished and I've prepared three patterns&patches for WLAN (all recent Thinkpads), WWAN/WUSB-typeA (all recent Thinkpads except X61t) and WWAN-typeB (X61t). Plus for the WWAN checks there are two variants of patches, because there are two ways to return success and until now I haven't found anything different about them, but maybe when it gets widespread, someone will discover it :) Also this means new patches can be easily added if new check-functions are introduced in future.

In a few days, I'll post a page with my story and all the said tools, and basically one script to auto-patch any BIOS, including those not introduced yet. Though it will patch only known ones without a lot of complaining.

stevenlau

#107 Post by stevenlau » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Zender wrote:Depends on mods, maybe rather a FAQ item. But even if it was the case, it's not time yet.

I've updated phnxdeco to (almost) correctly decompose recent IBM BIOSes. Except for extracting holes (maybe I will add support for them), the only difference from BIOS Editor (by Phoenix) decomposition was a four-byte location-information in ROMEXEC modules. Which means I still wouldn't recommend trying prepare/catenate.

Also made a tool to replace a module in BIOS image (though this one still needs improvements, for now it won't help X60 non-tablet owners, hopefully will get some tester with older machine to try the needed type of modification) and tool to automatically recalculate checksum.

Tool to patch a BIOS module is almost finished and I've prepared three patterns&patches for WLAN (all recent Thinkpads), WWAN/WUSB-typeA (all recent Thinkpads except X61t) and WWAN-typeB (X61t). Plus for the WWAN checks there are two variants of patches, because there are two ways to return success and until now I haven't found anything different about them, but maybe when it gets widespread, someone will discover it :) Also this means new patches can be easily added if new check-functions are introduced in future.

In a few days, I'll post a page with my story and all the said tools, and basically one script to auto-patch any BIOS, including those not introduced yet. Though it will patch only known ones without a lot of complaining.

Can we use it on Z61m?

Zender

T60 and Lenovo-branded Intel 4965AGN

#108 Post by Zender » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:42 pm

stevenlau: Probably, and if not, I'll do something about it.

Owners of T60 and Lenovo-branded Intel 4965AGN! There's no longer need for taping over disable pin and losing wireless switch and access connections on/off functionality. Either PM me or download a new version of T60 BIOS from the page I've given you link to.

SHoTTa35
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#109 Post by SHoTTa35 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:00 pm

hmmm... i would be one such person Zender but i'm wondering what would be the better "safer" option :) I thought the taping pin 20 still gave all the functionality of the regular card just blocks the error or something. As far as i've been told so far, you can use access connections and turn off wifi and the LED works underneat the LCD and all that.

i was just gonna tape pin 20 and test that as i figured that would be pretty easy to do. Works with all BIOSes i would guess... I also have that second port that i could put a WWAN card but i could just put the AGN card there instead since it doesn't do any checks there (or other checks)

I am waiting for my card to show up so probably Friday i'll post back about which i decided :)
Current - Thinkpad T410si - Core i3 330m, 4GB, 250GB 5400RPM, WXGA+, FPR, BT, Camera, DVDRW, Gobi2000, Win7 Pro x32
Past - Thinkpad T410 - T400 - T61 - T60 - T43 - T42 - T41 - T40 - T23 - 600X

Zender

#110 Post by Zender » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Yes, using the second slot is probably the safest solution. Though I seriously doubt there will be any problems with the modified BIOSes, once it's tested at least on one machine :)

Taping over pin 20 is "minor annoyance", but why lose wireless switch and maybe some battery life when you don't have to? :)

rickdic

T60 BIOS update location

#111 Post by rickdic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Hello, can anyone tell me where to find the T60 BIOS update that Zender has so graciously and elegantly provided?

Thanks,
Rick

stevenlau

Re: T60 and Lenovo-branded Intel 4965AGN

#112 Post by stevenlau » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Zender wrote:stevenlau: Probably, and if not, I'll do something about it.

Owners of T60 and Lenovo-branded Intel 4965AGN! There's no longer need for taping over disable pin and losing wireless switch and access connections on/off functionality. Either PM me or download a new version of T60 BIOS from the page I've given you link to.

Can I get a copy of the BIOS flash please.
You would save my a$$ big time.

Thanks in advance.

EricRC
Freshman Member

Re: Unlock Cingular lenovo MC8775 + Zender patch on T60p

#113 Post by EricRC » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:27 am

mtaylor wrote:Zender, hats off!

T60p + lenovo MC8775

- revert back to 2.19 (using windows update)
- installing MC8775
- installing 3g Watcher from sierra wireless website
- card visible, but turned off by BIOS.

... and it works!

Unforunately my lenovo MC8775 was locked to Cingular and I live in Spain. Finally I unlocked it using this software:
http://www.dc-unlocker.com/download/dc- ... _setup.exe If you need unlock only 1 data card, no need to buy dongle ---you can buy credits for 1 unlock at www.dc-unlocker.com/buy Which is about 15 Euros.

I got finally my card unlocked and it is working with my Local phone company (Orange).

Thanks Zender!
Hi, mtaylor
I'm quite interested in unlocking the WWAN card. Does it mean that original locked lenovo mini PCI-E WWAN cards can be unlocked?
I got a T60P and it comes with a WWAN card (maybe a verizon one), and I'm wondering whether it can be unlocked.
T60p(2008-93U) Core Duo T2600 2.13GHz,2GB RAM,ATi V5200,15" UXGA display,320GB 7200RPM

mtaylor

Unlocking of lenovo WWAN cards

#114 Post by mtaylor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi EricRC

Only some lenovo UMTS wwan cards are locked. For UMTS networks you need to get a SIM card from your provider. this simcard you insert into your Lenovo laptop. Sierra Wireless UMTS cards are MC8755 and MC8775.

An EVDO card is not using a SIM Card. I think you register directly your EVDO card with your phone company. As far as I know there are no provider locks on the EVDO Cards. Sierra Wireless EVDO cards are MC5720 and MC5725.

DC-Unlocker works only for the UMTS Cards.

EricRC
Freshman Member

Re: Unlocking of lenovo WWAN cards

#115 Post by EricRC » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 pm

mtaylor wrote:Hi EricRC

Only some lenovo UMTS wwan cards are locked. For UMTS networks you need to get a SIM card from your provider. this simcard you insert into your Lenovo laptop. Sierra Wireless UMTS cards are MC8755 and MC8775.

An EVDO card is not using a SIM Card. I think you register directly your EVDO card with your phone company. As far as I know there are no provider locks on the EVDO Cards. Sierra Wireless EVDO cards are MC5720 and MC5725.

DC-Unlocker works only for the UMTS Cards.
Thanks for your information, mate. :D

Does it mean that I can use this card anywhere that has a EVDO network? :D

Thanks
T60p(2008-93U) Core Duo T2600 2.13GHz,2GB RAM,ATi V5200,15" UXGA display,320GB 7200RPM

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Unlocking of lenovo WWAN cards

#116 Post by bill bolton » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:39 pm

EricRC wrote:Does it mean that I can use this card anywhere that has a EVDO network?
Probably not.

There are quite a few variations in EV-DO implementation and carriers which offer EV-DO service have often been somewhat picky in terms of registering devices they have no sold themeselves, etc etc.

Cheers,

Bill

Crunch

#117 Post by Crunch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 am

Verizon Wireless/Sprint customers (U.S. CDMA carriers): Neither carrier will activate any NON-VZW (or NON-Sprint) phones or cards anymore, as of 2 years ago.
15-inch Core 2 Duo ThinkPad T60p | Ivy-Bridge (Late-2012) Mac mini w/ quad Core i7-3615QM 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 240GB+180GB Intel 520 Series SATA III SSD's, 5x3TB Drobo 5D

pdudas

#118 Post by pdudas » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi!

Now I plan to buying a Novatel EU870D HSDPA modem card (it is only 150 Euro) into my X61s (7666-36G) which has a builtin SIM card reader and a 2nd mini-pci express slot. I verified that I can order the necessary antenna (42X3939) and the necessary antenna cable set (93P4543) and wwan parts (42X3928).

Can you tell me if the card will work in the X61s?
If the answer is no:
Zender can you help me to make a working bios with that card in the X61s?

Thanks in advance,

Pdudas

Zender

#119 Post by Zender » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:45 pm

There might (and probably will) be some limitations to use of the card with patched BIOS - the wireless switch will probably not work and it won't cooperate with AccessConnections. Else that, there shouldn't be a problem with using the card.

pdudas

#120 Post by pdudas » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Did you make bios for x61s?
Can I get it?
Zender wrote:There might (and probably will) be some limitations to use of the card with patched BIOS - the wireless switch will probably not work and it won't cooperate with AccessConnections. Else that, there shouldn't be a problem with using the card.
No problem if the card is not works with AC. The Huawei E220 and the Option GT max has an own software to control the card.
Both of them can set the card to sleep.
I hope the Mobilink (Novatel's software) can make a low power state too!

Edit:
I just realized that the 2nd mini-pci-express slot has USB 2.0 signals. It's so simple. I must take out the Huawei E220 from its casing, put the PCB and SIM card into the PCMCIA slot, connect the interface to the 2nd mini-pci-express slot's USB interface and the problem has been solved. I only have to remove the metal casing of the PCMCIA slot! No one tried this before?

Edit2:

I removed the PCB from the E220. It suits perfectly in the pcmcia slot (I had to remove the antenna, it was too big). There is an antenna connector on the E220's PCB so we can use the builtin antenna in x61s. As first step I'll connect an USB cable to the 2nd mini-pci-express slot and check if the E220 works with it. If it works I'll order the internal antenna and after that I'll build the PCB into the PCMCIA slot.

Edit3: maybe the missing +5V (which is not on the 2nd mini-pci-express slot) can make some difficulties...