Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ATI x1300 clocks question

T60/T61 Series
KilianoCV

ATI x1300 clocks question

#1 Post by KilianoCV » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded to an SSD. I completely reinstalled my windows before transferring everything to the SSD so that everything would be fresh. I installed all my windows updates and my drivers, anti-virus etc and the computer runs great. My question is about an application I had before I changed anything. I had Powerstrip on my computer to run a little bit higher clocks on my GPU just to have a smooth running interface, however since the fresh install of Windows 7 and my new SSD everytime I try to adjust the clocks and click apply, the clocks automatically revert to the original settings. Even if I create a new performance profile I still cannot apply it. What could I be missing that is stopping this from working? Before I touched anything on my thinkpad Powerstrip worked flawlessly. All the other adjustments I can do with Powerstrip work except the clock adjustments for the GPU and the Memory. Like I said I'm not doing any crazy overclocking. Just a bit fr
Smoother performance. What could be the issue? Thanks guys!! :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: ATI x1300 clocks question

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Powerstrip is a paid-for utility: http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
Perhaps your old version is not suited to the new(er) OS?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

KilianoCV

#3 Post by KilianoCV » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:39 pm

I have the same operating system as before and I didn't purchase it last time and it was working...
Could it be anything else? The newest version is 3.9 powerstrip correct??

Is there some sort of application or plug in I need in order for this to work? Or perhaps a driver of any kind?

And also the other features of powerstrip work fine it's just the overclock tht won't... :/

Moderator edit: Just FYI (for your information); if you are the latest (= most recent) poster in a thread, and you want to add more comments or questions to your thread, then there's no need to make a new post; rather please edit your last post, and add subsequent comments/questions. You add to your post by loggin in, and select the "edit" button, at the bottom, right. I just merged your three latest, subsequent posts into one. Thanks in advance... :wink:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 am

Maybe you used the older PS-version? http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps2.shtm

KilianoCV

#5 Post by KilianoCV » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:18 am

I tried multiple versions, even the ones that don't support windows 7 ill try again... Is it possible that the ATI driver from windows update isn't enough? Is there another driver for the GPU I would need?? Ill try the link you sent me with an older version of Powerstrip. If all else fails, is there another tool like tht you can suggest to me? Ati tool/ati try tools never work on my computer either.... :(

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 am

I don't believe in overclocking.
But try and find proper ATI or Omega drivers. A lot of Windows drivers/updates are worth bollocks.
Someone else please chime in.

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by TPFanatic » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Maybe you can try "GPUTool".

KilianoCV

#8 Post by KilianoCV » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Ok ill give tht a shot thanks. Any ideas on a good place to check for the ati driver? I can never get the ati catalyst to open or show up in the programs menu and I've already download from the Lenovo site and it hasn't changed anything.

Update: i installed GPUTool and when i tried to open it i got errors and it never loads. it asked me to run the program in administrator mode by right clicking and choosing so, when i do it i doesn't give me the option to do so, and it says it cannot Load the Kernel driver. SMKernel Error system. :( can someone help me.. plz?

What's omega? The drivers u suggested I look for, is it an ATI product?

Update: I tried for the omega drivers and no luck it always fails in the beginning of the installation. some package error always happens. -__-

Moderator edit: To repeat; if you are the latest (= most recent) poster in a thread, and you want to add more comments or questions to your thread, then there's no need to make a new post; rather please edit your last post, and add subsequent comments/questions. You add to your post by loggin in, and select the "edit" button, at the bottom, right. I just merged your three latest, subsequent posts into one.