Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Add Wireless to T60

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
JJDetroit

Add Wireless to T60

#1 Post by JJDetroit » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 am

Friend of mine has come into a T60 without wireless. Do I just need to add an internal card (i.e., there are antennas already installed) or do I need to look for a CardBus or USB adapter?
John, Sterling Heights, MI

EOMtp
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Add Wireless to T60

#2 Post by EOMtp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:53 am

Here is what you need (unless you want to install a modified BIOS, which will accept any card):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparm ... p=15&_sc=1

JJDetroit

#3 Post by JJDetroit » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:48 am

EOMtp wrote:Here is what you need (unless you want to install a modified BIOS, which will accept any card):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparm ... p=15&_sc=1
I take it that "G" is the best I can do in an internal card? Do the antennas have to be connected somehow, or does that happen when the card is inserted?
John, Sterling Heights, MI

kaede
Freshman Member

Add Wireless to T60

#4 Post by kaede » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:24 am

the antenna shud be connected to the card. as for the card option N always better than G

EOMtp
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by EOMtp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:12 am

JJDetroit wrote:... i.e., there are antennas already installed ... Do the antennas have to be connected somehow, or does that happen when the card is inserted?
I thought you indicated that antennas are already installed. You would know this if you removed the keyboard and saw the loose ends of the antenna wires.
Antenna connections are separate from inserting the card into the miniPCIe slot.

As stated above, the T60 accepts the card I noted without any BIOS modifications. Given your questions, I don't think you need to worry if "G" is "the best" ... "G" is plenty good enough for 99% of anything one needs to do ... and for the other 1% one can use an Ethernet cable. That WLAN card (FRU #39T5578) was "the best" when the T60 was "the best", and it continues to be excellent today.

You may want to look at disassembly/reassembly instructions in the Hardware Maintenance Manual:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc ... 844_04.pdf

Add the $5 card I showed you, and your friend will be a very happy camper!