Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 HDD to SSD - Help Needed!

X230-X280, X390 Series
oldschool30

X230 HDD to SSD - Help Needed!

#1 Post by oldschool30 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I just bought an X230 with the 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, and Windows 8 configuration. I also bought a Crucial M4Sata SSD to replace the HDD.

Now here is where I'm stuck...does anyone know how to put the windows 8 operating system on the new (blank) ssd? I don't want to clone/migrate the OS, but rather do a clean install (as I have heard this is the best route for optimal performance etc.). I don't have any of the OS disks or an external CD drive. Is it possible for me to do this?

Thanks in advance!

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X230 HDD to SSD - Help Needed!

#2 Post by bill bolton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm

oldschool30 wrote:I don't want to clone/migrate the OS, but rather do a clean install (as I have heard this is the best route for optimal performance etc.)!
You heard wrongly. Given the present state of Win 8 driver availability, cloning a known working vendor-supplied version is definitely "optimal" :idea:

Cheers,

Bill B.

oldschool30

#3 Post by oldschool30 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 pm

bill bolton wrote: You heard wrongly. Given the present state of Win 8 driver availability, cloning a known working vendor-supplied version is definitely "optimal" :idea:

Cheers,

Bill B.
Would cloning the OS affect the performance/reliability of the SSD? If I were to clone it, how would I make sure that it is running as smoothly as it would had I done a clean install?

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by bill bolton » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 am

oldschool30 wrote:Would cloning the OS affect the performance/reliability of the SSD?
Not with any contemporary OS.

Cheers,

Bill B.

oldschool30

#5 Post by oldschool30 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Hmm okay...So all I would have to do is use a program like Acronis and do the transfer? I've been reading up something called alignment, and how cloning can cause alignment issues...not really sure what that's all about though.

What would be the pros and cons of doing a clean install vs cloning?

ducky2802

#6 Post by ducky2802 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Alignment for optimal performance (so Ive been told), windows 7-8 clean install takes care of it for you.
Windows will disable defrag and supports (not sure if this is done with cloned drives) trim to maintain ssd performance.
Clean install lets you customize the software a bit more, e.g. I dont download/install lenovo's wifi managing program or hdd protection.

With that said, Ive created system images/restored hdd, ssd, raid 0, raid 1 all with windows 7 recovery tools and really havent seen a drastic change doing a mechanical image to ssd. Also, you can check trim behavior with elevated cmd, fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify and you can set trim (if its not enabled) by typing in fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0 .

There are a few options I see you can try:
#1, Clean install. While you are at it, try using the uefi boot if you want.
#2, Clone hdd, using acronis true image or windows native backup program (not sure if your flavor windows 8 has the create system image option). Keep in mind, you have to install on a larger HDD for the windows option, so one way to get around this limitation is to shrink your primary partition to less than your msata SSD, create backup, swap drives, and restore using a boot usb pen. Most third-party imaging/ghost/cloning programs let you install on any drive size you want.
#3, Create rescue media using R&R, and hope it lets you restore to the msata drive.

oldschool30

#7 Post by oldschool30 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Okay, so if I were to clone it using acronis true image, what are the steps that I have to take to ensure that the ssd is aligned and running to its highest performance? Thanks.

awolfe63
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by awolfe63 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 pm

oldschool30 wrote:Okay, so if I were to clone it using acronis true image, what are the steps that I have to take to ensure that the ssd is aligned and running to its highest performance? Thanks.
Should be none for Windows 8.
Andrew Wolfe