Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga 12 Touch Up Repairs

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
Nycto

Yoga 12 Touch Up Repairs

#1 Post by Nycto » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:21 am

Glad to see this old place still looks the same.

So my library had some surplus laptops, and I bought one. The unit came up as a "Yoga 12 Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20DK".

Its got a little cosmetic damage, which I totally expected being a five or six year old machine being used by however many people. There are a few things that jump out at me, the most obvious being this weird stretched out piece of rubber across the bottom front of the unit. I am not sure what this is for, but it's stretched out enough that I can't just snap it into place again without it bulging out. I have no idea what its called either, so it is kind of hard to look for a place to buy one. I also will need a rubber foot, because one of those is missing, as well as model specific badges/stickers for this unit. I think there used to be a Lenovo logo on the lid that's gone, and the Thinkpad sticker on that part has also seen some better days. I am also wondering if there is a way to touch up the chipped paint on the unit. Not a big deal, but if I can, neat. The last thing of note is that the touchscreen, well you can tell its been touched, lol. I am wondering if there is a best method for buffing those marks out, or minimizing their appearance. I am totally okay with not doing so, but my restorative bug is kicking in, because I really like this little thing.

So, kinda looking for thoughts, advice, and so on.

Thanks everyone!
Compal QAL51
IBM A31p Type 2653-CU5 (Ill)
IBM A31p Type 2653-R5U

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Yoga 12 Touch Up Repairs

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:59 am

Looks to me like an anti-slip bumper for when you set the laptop up in "tent mode".
To replace that, you'll probably need to order the whole base/bottom 00HT846
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Nycto

#3 Post by Nycto » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:14 pm

That's not unreasonable - it would also address my missing foot as well. I am aware of the manual for disassembly, but I haven't taken anything apart that wasn't IBM branded. Being a convertible unit, is it much more difficult than something from 20 years ago?
Compal QAL51
IBM A31p Type 2653-CU5 (Ill)
IBM A31p Type 2653-R5U

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:07 am

9 screws is all it takes to replace the bottom.
You may also want to swap some stickers (Type + S/N, Windows COA).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)