Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Jawbone Bluetooth headset and T60's built-in Bluetooth suppo

T60/T61 Series
snsok

Jawbone Bluetooth headset and T60's built-in Bluetooth suppo

#1 Post by snsok » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 am

I have a t60 with built-in Bluetooth support.

I've read every forum entry I can find about enabling bluetooth headsets with the T60. I am trying to pair a Jawbone noisecancelling headset with the T60.

I am able to go into Control Panel > bluetooth devices, find this headset and enable it just fine. The only problem is that after this pairing, the T60 doesn't know it's a microphone. It doesn't even show up as an audio device in the Sounds applet console.

I read somewhere that the built-in MS drivers for MS Bluetooth don't support headset services.

My Dragon speech recognition doesn't know it's there.

I tried using the FN+F5 connections utility on the ThinkPad. That opens the IBM Access Connections window. When I go ot the Bluetooth on the menu bar, I find only "Enable Bluetooth" available, but the Launch Bluetooth Places and Bluetooth Security are greyed out.

I can't find an updated driver on Lenovo's website.

Is it possible to do all this with the built-in hardware and software? Or should I just go out an buy a third-party USB bluetooth adapter/dongle.

Thanks,

Stan

GomJabbar

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:14 am

See if the procedure I discovered regarding enabling my bluetooth headset for my T42 will work for you. You have a different bluetooth driver to download from Lenovo, but I think the procedure should still work. However if you are using Vista, I believe you might be out of luck.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=40672

Be sure and follow the installation instructions if you need to install the driver below. After installing the driver below (if necessary), follow the procedure I outlined in the thread above.
Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software for Windows XP, 2000 - ThinkPad

If you still have problems, I read somewhere where a user got the Toshiba bluetooth stack to work for them. I believe he downloaded it from a Toshiba site somewhere.
DKB

DAH

#3 Post by DAH » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 am

GomJabbar wrote:See if the procedure I discovered regarding enabling my bluetooth headset for my T42 will work for you. You have a different bluetooth driver to download from Lenovo, but I think the procedure should still work. However if you are using Vista, I believe you might be out of luck.
Not so Vista supports Bluetooth audio devices, see Bluetooth settings image
Image ThinkPad T60p T7600 4 GB RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HD Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 5.1 4.7 4.2 4.6 5.8

GomJabbar

#4 Post by GomJabbar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:39 am

I knew that Vista always supported bluetooth, but in the past the drivers available did not support many profiles (such as for a headset). I am glad to see that Lenovo has released drivers that resolve this. :)

I stand corrected.
DKB

snsok

#5 Post by snsok » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 pm

GomJabbar:

Thanks. I looked at that other thread.

I am running WinXP. Although the Jawbone shows up under Bluetooth devices, it does not show up under Sound...Controllers in Device Manager.

For Bluetooth, i have both the BlueTooth enumerator and the
ThinkPad BlueTooth with Enhanced Data Rate drivers installed. The latter is a Broadcom driver with a version 5.1.2535.

This ThinkPad is a company computer so I am a bit limited in how much brain surgery I can do.

But I am curious: when you hit Fn+F5, and bring up the radio window, then click on Open Access Connections, and bring up the IBM Access window, what do you see on the drop-down for Bluetooth? I just see "enable bluetooth" even when bluetooth is enabled, and the next two are greyed out.

Stan (who is now reading the 13th? book in the Dune series)

andyP
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#6 Post by andyP » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:01 pm

snsok wrote:
Stan (who is now reading the 13th? book in the Dune series)
Big SORRY in advance, I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I have to ask, (please understand - GomJabbar should at least :wink: ); is that true "the 13th book"? I've got and read 5 all at least 3 times. Have I missed something during my almost 16 years in germany :cry:
T61p 6460-67G; 15,4 WSXGA+ W7P x64, no hairdryer.
T43p 2668-G2G, 14,1 SXGA+, XP Pro, internal hairdryer
T23 2647-9LG, 14,1 SXGA+, XP Pro, no hairdryer

DAH

#7 Post by DAH » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:08 pm

Perhaps this will help? THE DUNE NOVELS CHRONOLOGY Sorry for the detour
Image ThinkPad T60p T7600 4 GB RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HD Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 5.1 4.7 4.2 4.6 5.8

SHoTTa35
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by SHoTTa35 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:18 pm

GomJabbar wrote:I knew that Vista always supported bluetooth, but in the past the drivers available did not support many profiles (such as for a headset). I am glad to see that Lenovo has released drivers that resolve this. :)

I stand corrected.
Not Lenovo, this is all Vista. When you connect the headset it does it's thing and then runs off to Windows Update to download the "driver" for it.

Here's mine:
img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9826/capturehs2.th.jpg[/img]

img]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/521/ ... me0.th.jpg[/img]

When i connected my A2DP Stereo Headset it also went out and grabbed the driver from Windows Update and enabled the A2DP profile (or i guess that's what it downloaded or something)

MS Vista Bluetooth stack rocks!

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ledun1.jpg

It also did the same for my new smartphone, Samsung Blackjack. When that was connected it also installed, Windows Mobile Device Support - which then went out and grabbed Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 for Vista. After that, the new profile to Activesync over Bluetooth was available. (i however uninstalled WMDC because i just sync OTA with my exchange server)
Current - Thinkpad T410si - Core i3 330m, 4GB, 250GB 5400RPM, WXGA+, FPR, BT, Camera, DVDRW, Gobi2000, Win7 Pro x32
Past - Thinkpad T410 - T400 - T61 - T60 - T43 - T42 - T41 - T40 - T23 - 600X

snsok

#9 Post by snsok » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Remember I am XP here, not Windows.

I guess I will go get the very latest Bluetooth drivers from Lenovo just to see if that makes a difference.

About Dune: Frank Herbert's son collaborated on a series of 8 prequels and sequels to Frank's original 6 novels. The one I am reading, Sandworms of Dune, is thus the 14th Dune novel, and there is one more to go.

He's not as good a writer as his father, but it's fun to have the story go on forever.

Icee

#10 Post by Icee » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:50 am

I'm running XP Pro on my T60p and I've got my Jawbone to work with the internal bluetooth card. I actually use it to scream at people while I play Team Fortress 2! =)

Once you pair it up, does your bluetooth icon in the task bar turn green (vs white for nothing connected)? Also does your bluetooth led below the monitor blink?

I remember when I set up my Jawbone, I had to pair it, then press the answer call button on the Jawbone to get the audio to work. I'm wondering if it will show up in your device manager at that point.

Have you also checked the Sounds and Audio Devices area?

Here is a screen shot of what was loaded when I turned my bluetooth on and paired it to the Jawbone. I did not have to load any software or update and drivers.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/7729/screenwv9.jpg

snsok

#11 Post by snsok » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:11 pm

I finally got my Jawbone to work. I wound up having to upgrade the firmware from Lenovo's site, then upgrade the software, then repeat both again. The problem was that Bluetooth came installed on my machine without support for headset services.

My bluetooth icon is blue and white when I am connected. The LED does blink, however, just like yours.

After doing all this, the Jawbone is performing terribly as a microphone. (I am using it to dictate to Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Despite setting Dragon to expect a bluetooth mike with an 8K range, my speech sounds crackly and indistinct.

It's funny that the Jawbone produces great audio with my cellphone but not my ThinkPad.

I am curious to know how your playback sounds when you record and play back through Sound Recorder.

Thanks.

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#12 Post by crashnburn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:16 am

Can / Do Thinkpad Bluetooths use the Widcomm Stack?
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)